[Our Museums] Legacy of early Catholics at Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum
简介Sitting tall on a cliffside on the Han River, the Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum is located in ...
Sitting tall on a cliffside on the Han River, the Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum is located in a spot of historical tragedy and religious significance.
A five-minute stroll from Hapjeong Station, visitors pass through a memorial park at the Jeoldusan Martyrs' Shrine before reaching the museum entrance.
In the late Joseon period, many Koreans faced execution for believing in Catholicism, which was introduced to the country in the 1780s through books sent by European missionaries in China.
The 230-year history of the Korean Catholic Church is marked by lengthy periods of persecution. A testament to this past is inscribed at the Jeoldusan Martyrs' Shrine, bearing the memories of the brutal Byeongin Persecution that began in 1866.
The name "Jeoldusan" translates to "beheading mountain," a chilling reminder of the tragedy when thousands of Korean Catholics were executed here.
Regent Heungseon Daewongun, enthroned in 1864, first sought Catholic assistance in preventing Russia's southward advance as imperialist powers sought to expand their influence in Asia. However, court ministers' objections to the involvement of heretical groups and their aid from France led to a shift in policy, resulting in the 1866 Catholic persecution campaign. By then, the number of Korean Catholics had increased to 23,000 from 15,000 in 1851.
조선중앙TV는 지난 3월 8일 개최된 인민군 창건 75주년 기념 열병식 녹화중계에서 김정은 국무위원장과 '백두산 군마등정'을 한 백마를 공개했다. 중앙TV는 "우리 원수님 백두전구 ...
"Mars and I"By Bae Myung-hoonRabbit HoleIn Bae Myung-hoon’s latest adventure into the world of scien ...
KG Mobility is hoping to finish 2023 strong to end the year with a profit for the first time since 2 ...
- Kingdom introduces last of its 7 kingdoms in 7th EP
- Posco International completes EV parts plant in Mexico
- 2023 Melon Music Awards to take place Dec. 2
- Japan preparing to bring back some 20 S. Koreans from Israel, along with its own nationals: reports
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- Seoul shares close nearly flat on US rate
- 윤 대통령 “저보고 소통 부족하다 지적하는 분 많아 반성”
- SK gears up for largest
- Chuu makes tearful solo debut with 'Howl'
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- 기세 올린 이재명 체제…이번엔 한동훈 겨냥 공세 집중
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- 28th BIFF comes to an end
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- Striving to be the best, TXT returns with 3rd LP
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- S. Korea may decide to increase medical student quota as early as next week
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
- 야당, 김행 사퇴에 “사필귀정…사법적 판단 받아야”