Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
简介Kakao Bank, the banking arm of Korean mobile giant Kakao, announced Tuesday that it will acquire a 1 ...
Kakao Bank, the banking arm of Korean mobile giant Kakao, announced Tuesday that it will acquire a 10 percent stake in PT Super Bank Indonesia, aiming to boost its presence in the Southeast Asian market.
The acquisition will be Kakao Bank's first investment outside of Korea, and will be done in collaboration with the Singapore-based ride-hailing and food delivery app, Grab.
A consortium led by Grab and Singapore-based global telecom company, Singtel, is the largest shareholder of PT Super Bank Indonesia.
According to sources, despite the acquisition, the consortium will retain its position as the largest shareholder at 46.9 percent, while Singtel will hold 18.8 percent and Grab will maintain 28.1 percent ownership.
Kakao Bank will become the third-largest shareholder, trailing Indonesia's leading media company, Emtek, which will hold a 36.8 percent stake.
The specific amount of Kakao Bank's investment remains undisclosed.
In addition to the investment, Kakao Bank and PT Super Bank Indonesia plan to collaborate on developing new services and lending and deposit products. They will also work together to design a new user interface and user experience.
Kakao Bank said it hopes the collaboration will help it better understand the Southeast Asian market and strengthen its global capabilities.
"As Kakao Bank gains attention in the global market as a successful model for future banking, we will seek diverse opportunities to secure our mid to long-term growth drive," Kakao Bank CEO Yoon Ho-young said in a statement.
Kakao Bank further explained that it decided to invest in PT Super Bank Indonesia because it sees potential in the Indonesian market, which has a large population of mobile phone users.
Indonesia has over 270 million people, making it the fourth-largest country in the world. However, nearly half of the population over the age of 15 does not have a bank account due to a lack of local branches across the country's more than 18,000 islands.
PT Super Bank Indonesia CEO Tigor M. Siahaan on Tuesday welcomed Kakao Bank's investment decision, saying, "Through this partnership, we expect to increase accessibility to digital finance for the financially underprivileged in Indonesia."
Meanwhile, Kakao Bank and Grab are also seeking various ways to enhance user convenience by linking their services.
K-pop boy group Ateez’s second studio album, “The World Ep. Fin: Will,” landed at No. 2 on the UK’s ...
이동관 방송통신위원회 위원장이 1일 오전 서울 종로구 정부서울청사에서 열린 임시 국무회의에 참석해 한덕수 국무총리의 국회 탄핵안 발의 관련 발언을 듣고 있다. 연합뉴스윤석열 대 ...
이종석(62·사법연수원 15기) 헌법재판소장 후보자 임명동의안이 30일 국회 본회의를 통과했다.국회는 이날 총 투표수 291표 중 찬성 204표와 반대 61표, 기권 26표로 이 ...
- [Herald Interview] Singer Yun Hee
- [New in Korean] Tribute to mothers, daughters in 'Passing Through Winter'
- Remaining BTS members to begin military service next month
- [Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance
- OPEC members push against fossil fuel phase
- Merger of Korean OTT platforms Tving and Wavve imminent: sources
1,000 retired couples receive W3m in combined pension
Minho of SHINee to hold first solo fan concert in January
Photo of Fu Bao's baby twin sisters’ birth selected for Time's Top 100 Photos of 2023
북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
LG Energy Solution to supply EV battery modules to Poland's ICPT
[New in Korean] 'BU Care Insurance' protects hearts after breakups
- Blinken to discuss Russia, Middle East, N. Korea during visit to Seoul: State Department
- Suspension of ex
- PPP decides to lift membership suspensions of ex
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- US Fed keeps key lending rate unchanged for second consecutive time
- Paris Baguette inks sponsorship deal with Paris Saint
- Seoul shares shoot up nearly 2% on Fed's back
- Open hatred of Jews surges globally, inflamed by Gaza war
- Police turn to AI to predict crimes, drug tracking
- Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
- "식량만 달라" NLL 표류하던 北선박, 어젯밤 北이 끌고 갔다
- [News Analysis] Could Kakao’s M&A strategy be its own undoing?
- [KH Explains] Can humans catch lumpy skin disease?
- Korean doctors see income surge amid intensifying physician shortage
- 신원식 “나도 육군이지만, 합참의장은 해군 시켜야”
- Israel presses ground campaign against Hamas in 'second stage' of Gaza war
- JYP's Japanese girl group NiziU debuts in Korea with single album ‘Press Play’
- Seoul shares open lower ahead of Fed meeting this week
- US needs 'strategic clarity' on North Korea deterrence: report
- 황교안 "유승민·이준석 자리만 차지…통합, 잡탕밥 돼선 안돼"
- [Herald Interview] Korean Cultural Center in Madrid aims to extend, expand Korean culture in Spain
- [Herald Interview] Chung Ji
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Historian looks back at life dedicated to Korean studies
- [Exclusive] South Korean lawmakers to join international alliance taking on China
- [사진] “군 초급간부 여건 개선 노력해달라”
- Major retailer recalls over 50,000 pairs of shower shoes due to chemical hazard
- Mirae Asset ETF to make Chinese debut
- LG, Hyundai join forces to advance robot