More mosquitoes in Seoul this fall: report
简介Despite winter being just weeks away, a number of people living in Seoul have been complaining about ...
Despite winter being just weeks away, a number of people living in Seoul have been complaining about mosquitoes still bothering their daily life.
Kim, a Seoul housewife in her 50s, has had trouble sleeping recently due to persistent mosquitoes, even as the cool autumn weather sets in. "I thought I had caught them all and tried to go to sleep, but another mosquito started buzzing around my head," she complained.
"I get bitten by mosquitoes immediately when I go for an evening walk with my dog. It's stressful because I didn't pay much attention to mosquitoes during the summer," an office worker surnamed Cho, in her 30s, also expressed her frustration.
There has been an increase in the mosquito population in Seoul during the fall season this year.
According to data from 50 digital mosquito surveillance devices installed in Seoul, the number of mosquitoes collected in Seoul in the second week of October was approximately 933 individuals.
This represents an increase of about 1.5 times compared to the last week of September. Compared to the same period in the previous year, there was a roughly 2.6-fold increase in the mosquito count. In the third week of October, around 863 mosquitoes were captured, which also saw an approximately 2.7-fold increase compared to the same period in the previous year.
The primary reason for mosquitoes remaining active into the autumn is attributed to the warm weather.
Mosquitoes remain active when the temperature is above 13 degrees Celsius. Despite entering November, with temperatures exceeding 20 degrees Celsius during the day, mosquitoes can still be a nuisance.
According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, the temperature in Seoul's Jongno at 4 a.m. on Thursday was 18.9 degrees Celsius, higher than Wednesday morning's lowest temperature of 17.2 degrees Celsius in Seoul.
The day's lowest temperature in Seoul was 14.9 degrees Celsius on Oct. 19. Afterward, it fluctuated between 9 to 12 degrees Celsius, but as November approached, it rose to the upper teens.
The average temperature, which had dropped to 10.4 degrees Celsius on Oct. 21, rose to 17.2 degrees Celsius on Oct. 25.
The Korea Meteorological Administration predicts that high temperature fluctuations and clear weather will continue for the foreseeable future, and mosquito activity is expected to persist.
Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top carmaker, and its sister company, Kia Corp., are set to po ...
China’s economic slowdown could deteriorate more than initially projected, increasing the strain on ...
President Yoon Suk Yeol approved the appointments of new Defense Minister Shin Won-sik and new Cultu ...
- Seoul expected to be one of most sought
- Prestige Biopharma eyes complete value chain
- Hyundai Motor’s yearly earnings hit record
- Koreans well equipped to overcome global economic turmoil, says ex
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- SK hynix logs quarterly losses for 4th consecutive quarter
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Argentinian politician's old tweet mocking BTS angers fans
- Seoul expected to be one of most sought
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- New US special envoy for N. Korean human rights issues takes office, plans to visit Seoul next week
- S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- 28th BIFF comes to an end
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
- Chinese avant
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive